Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Barbara Kent, the Last Silent Film Star





















Barbara Kent, at age 104, is thought to be the only living person who had starring roles (as an adult) in Silent films. She began her film career in 1925, and made her last picture in 1935. One of her most notable films was "Flesh and the Devil" where she played the heroine opposite Greta Garbo. She retreated from public life following her film career, and in the nearly 80 years since she has apparently never granted an interview, and has been extremely private. I've read that for the most part she does not even acknowledge her film career, and neighbors simply know her as an elderly neighbor. She has been so private that many times people do not realize that she is still living, especially due to her advanced age.
I can't say how I obtained her address, but when I wrote to her I told her I would not give it out or make it known, and I only briefly mentioned her film career. I didn't really expect to get this back at all, but for some reason she decided to grant my request for an autograph. I'm pretty thrilled that she apparently made an exception in my case!

3 comments:

TNMOA said...

darren - this is great - did you get this recently? If so, so far it would appear to be the only evidence that she's still living.

Amazing to me that she and Frederica Sagor Maas both worked on Flesh and the Devil in 1925-26 as adults and are still alive to talk about it!

dagwood387 said...

Yes I mailed this to her this past December, and got it back in February. I was just so surprised that she actually replied, based on what I've read about how totally private she is.

Anonymous said...

Your drawing of her is amazing !